Since 1993, CDF-MN has awarded more than 300 scholarships to outstanding youth in the Twin Cities metropolitan area. The celebration raises funding needed to sustain the organization’s Leave No Child Behind® mission.
For consideration of Children’s Defense Fund-MN Beat the Odds scholarship, you must:
- Be a current high school senior who resides in or attends school in the broader Twin Cities Metro area. Diversity in geographic representation will be considered.
- Be on track to graduate by June 2020.
- Demonstrate academic achievement and have post-secondary or training goals at a college, university or other institution of learning (there is no GPA requirement), as well as potential for post-secondary success.
- Be available for meetings including photo shoots and interviews from November 2019 through March 2020 (Nominator will be responsible for helping coordinate transportation to required meetings).
- Have limited family and/or community support and/or limited income.
- Demonstrate commitment to your community and/or social justice.
- Write a personal statement, of no more than 750 typed words, that accomplishes the following:
- Describes the major obstacles and challenges in your life and how you have overcome them;
- Describes your past and current family, financial, educational and emotional support systems;
- Describes how you have been able to achieve academic success or show marked improvement in academics despite your hardships;
- Describes your commitment to serving others, for example, involvement in service clubs at school or community organizations or taking on major home and work responsibilities
- Complete and submit the Beat the Odds application with all requirements including nominator form and letter of recommendation by 11:59 PM Friday, September 27, 2019.