Beat the Odds Scholarship Program
Join us virtually, Thursday, July 16, 2020, 6:30-7:30pm!
Enjoy an evening of inspiration and fun as we honor five extraordinary young people with a Beat the Odds scholarship while raising awareness around the need for continued investment and advocacy in support of children.
Register for FREE at this link to receive an access link closer to the event date.
(If you purchased tickets for the original in-person event, you are already registered!)
Highlights of the celebration include:
Since 1993, CDF-MN has awarded more than 300 scholarships to outstanding youth in the Twin Cities metropolitan area. The celebration raises funding needed to sustain the organization’s Leave No Child Behind® mission.
CDF-MN’s annual Beat the Odds celebration also helps raise awareness about the significant challenges facing Minnesota’s children and the need for continued investment and advocacy. The individual experiences and stories of the young people honored at the event inform CDF-MN’s ongoing efforts to shape policy and change the odds for all children. As CDF-MN’s only annual fundraiser, the event raises needed funding to sustain the organization’s ongoing efforts on behalf of all Minnesota children.
For consideration of Children’s Defense Fund-MN Beat the Odds scholarship, you must:
- Be a current high school senior who resides in or attends school in the broader Twin Cities Metro area. Diversity in geographic representation will be considered.
- Be on track to graduate by June 2020.
- Demonstrate academic achievement and have post-secondary or training goals at a college, university or other institution of learning (there is no GPA requirement), as well as potential for post-secondary success.
- Be available for meetings including photo shoots and interviews from November 2019 through March 2020 (Nominator will be responsible for helping coordinate transportation to required meetings).
- Have limited family and/or community support and/or limited income.
- Demonstrate commitment to your community and/or social justice.
- Write a personal statement, of no more than 750 typed words, that accomplishes the following:
- Describes the major obstacles and challenges in your life and how you have overcome them;
- Describes your past and current family, financial, educational and emotional support systems;
- Describes how you have been able to achieve academic success or show marked improvement in academics despite your hardships;
- Describes your commitment to serving others, for example, involvement in service clubs at school or community organizations or taking on major home and work responsibilities
- Complete and submit the Beat the Odds application with all requirements including nominator form and letter of recommendation by 11:59 PM Friday, September 27, 2019.